Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Top Five Holiday Movies

With the holidays here, many of us will be spending a lot of time with those people who are most important to us. Along those lines, I surveyed some of my family and friends, specifically those with whom I have watched the most movies during my lifetime, and asked for their five (5) favorite holiday movies. Coincidentally, they are the people (excluding the priest) who stood closest to me on the wedding altar. Feel free to discuss or add to you Netflix queue.

My List:
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. About a Boy
3. Millions
4. Home Alone
5. Die Hard

About a Boy is a subtle Christmas movie, starting and ending with the holiday and relying on the royalties from "Santa's Super Sleigh." If that is too much of a stretch, you can switch it out with Brazil, which takes place completely at Christmastime, even though I do not really consider it to be a Christmas movie.


Jenn, my bride:
1. Love Actually
2. Millions
3. While You Were Sleeping
4. Family Man
5. Muppet Christmas Carol


K.C. (Br. Philip), my brother and best man:
1. It’s a Wonderful Life
2. Home Alone
3. Die Hard
4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
5. Millions

I guess it makes sense that my brother and I would have so many similar favorite movies. We used to watch Home Alone every year together. We even quoted the Pepsi commercial at the beginning of the VHS tape. Unfortunately, the more current dvd did not retain the commercial.


Jamie, one of the groomsmen
:
1. Bad Santa
2. Planes, Trains and Automobiles
3. Christmas Story
4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
5. Love Actually


Brian, the other groomsmen: (in no particular order)
It's A Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
Muppet Family Christmas
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation


I welcome you to leave your suggestions for overlooked holiday films as a comment here or in an email.

6 comments:

brianmcg said...

I love Millions, but I don't watch it every year at this point ... maybe I need to try it this Christmas.

elisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elisa said...

Okay so James and I studied your lists. James really likes the Die Hard and Bad Santa suggestions and we both have never seen Millions.

James quickly wrote up his list and here it is:
1. A Christmas Story
2. Love Actually
3. The Grinch (he’s never seen the original)
4. Family Man
5. Family Stone
(if there could be a 6th he would have It’s a Wonderful Life)

He wanted me to write one to but I can only come up with 4 (and I’m not so sure about #4):
1. It’s A Wonderful Life
2. Elf
3. Love Actually
4. The Santa Clause

brianmcg said...

what about "jingle all the way" for james?

elisa said...

james says he watched it last year and wasn't as impressed as he had been in the past (he knew you would bring that one up!)

Chrissie said...

I'm late to the party, but here are my top five:

1) A Christmas Story
2) It's a Wonderful Life
3) Home Alone
4) Scrooged
5) National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

A close 6th: The Nightmare Before Christmas